Sunday, February 5, 2012

cozy houses


I wrote about my trip around Karuizawa in previous two articles, on the same trip I visited three houses in Karuizawa area.;Summer House Karuizawa (1933) was designed by Antonin Raymon,The House at Karuizawa (1962) was designed by Junzo Yoshimura and  The Wakita atelier mountain villa(1970) was designed by Junzo Yoshimura.



Each of them were very cozy. I know many cool houses or interesting houses, but I know only a few houses which are snugly warm and comfortable. When I visited those three houses, I felt a sence of familiarity with them  like I had been there many times before. Thinking back, there are three common things among those three cozy houses.

1 Not new 
Those three houses had been constructed at least over 40 years ago. I could find some weathering in many parts of those houses, but I actually like the texture created from enduring the fierce environment.



 2 Not simple 
Those three houses are not simple. The exterior form is compounded by  two or three simple forms. The Interior  is consisted of many different materials,forms and goods. But each different elements make very good harmony. And there are many cozy spots in a small house; bright  widow side desk, warm fire side chair, quiete reading space, and so on. 


3 Not isolated
The three houses have a good harmonious with their surroundings. Looking from the inside to the outside, you can feel a sense of togetherness with the surroundings. 

When I was reading architectural magazines, I noticed that those three things are completely opposite to the latest trends in houses. In architectural magazines, all buildings are new and you can find many simple and eccentric houses.

We architect tend to seek new and photogenic architecture. But on the other hand, the three aspects above, requires us architects to think about other ideas, specifically the rustic qualities, diversity of design and harmonious relationship with its surroundings.
This is difficult to explain through a photo or text, but easy to understand once you are there.


What we really have to do is to seriously think about what is really cozy for our clients.


No comments: